Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Low Cal Parmesan Peppercorn Dressing

The Mr is on this new kick where he wants to shake up his lunches and something he read said where this dude had a big freakin' salad for lunch...like "take a salad bar and dump it upside down in a bowl and chow down, chump" kind of salad.  He's pretty much given up on ranch dressing due to the sodium and the low sodium versions taste like rump less than ideal.  

When we were at Whole Foods over the weekend, I saw an asiago peppercorn dressing and it looked so good but it was expensive and it was high in sodium.  500mg for 2 tbsp.  No thanks.  Later on as he was making his salad for Monday, I knew he had to go to the store so I started looking for some recipes to use for a healthier version.  I had him pick up the ingredients and the next day I got to work.  

Now I like salad...not everyday, but I like salad.  The Mr, he could and does eat it pretty much every day.  I  suppose his lettuce salad is my fruit salad which I have every day.  For test purposes, I put together my own salad to show y'all what this could look like on your plate...


Not too bad eh?  Radishes, red peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, red onions, carrots on a bed of arugula with 3 oz of pink salmon on top and 2 tbsp of dressing.  After this shot, I shook the thing up in a bowl to coat it all and ate it.  Mighty good especially considering I'm not a fan of a few of the ingredients like light mayo and greek yogurt but you chuck all of the stuff in there, let it have a flavor party and you've got some good stuff that easily fits into your healthy culinary repertoire!

Here's what you'll need:


1/4 cup Hellman's Light Mayo
1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1/4 skim milk
1 tbsp Lea and Perrins Reduced Sodium Worcestershire sauce
1-2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground or coarse
1/4 cup Trader Joe's Parmesan Romano Blend
2 fresh basil leaves, diced
1 sprig fresh dill, chopped
3 sprigs fresh thyme
Water to get to proper consistency if needed

Add all ingredients to a bowl, whisk until combined.  Easy peasy!

It was more of a dip consistency for me without the water so just add a tablespoon of water, whisk and see if it's at a consistency you like before adding more.



Yum!

Nutritional Info (2 tbsp serving):  Calories  37  Total Fat 2g  Sat Fat 1g  Poly Fat 1g  Cholesterol 3mg  Sodium 109mg  Potassium  35mg  Total Carbs  2g  Sugars 1g  Protein 3g  Vitamin A 1%  Vitamin D  3%  Calcium 6%

Adapted from Food.com
====================
Like this post? Don't miss another one...subscribe via email or RSS feed. (Because you're cool like that!)

7 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. I usually don't make my own dressing but I am going to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't either but I had to find a way to make this. I'm going to experiment a bit more on my own since you can taste the yogurt a little more for my taste. But I was surprised how much I liked it!

      Delete
  2. Can't believe the difference in the sodium and it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! That's always our main goal is to reduce the sodium and this one hits that goal and tastes pretty dang good! Score!

      Delete
  3. Sounds good, looks good and I love greek yogurt! May have to give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You lost me with the salmon. :) Other than that, it looks like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks good enough to overcome my aversion to salad. I actually like salad, if someone else would go to the trouble to put it together with all those wonderful chuncky veggies. What I don't like is lettuce, especially iceberg, which I see you didn't use. Still, that's what comes to mind when I hear 'salad'. Anyhoo, great job on reproducing what sounds like a delicious dressing, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your time! (Heads up though...disrespectful or spam comments will be deleted.)